Friday 14 June 2013

CF or SD

I'm still getting used to the 5DmK3 dual card slots, Yeah I know what your thinking 'is it really something you have to learn?' and I thought the same as you but let me tell you it's actually harder to deal with when you have more choice.

You can:

. Clone the shoot to have a backup
. Write JPEG and RAW to separate cards
. Use the second card to spill over when the first is full
. And probably some more options I have not listed here

I think this list of options is great and dual cards is a great idea, yeah I know it's not new but it is new to me.

Unfortunately it is confusing the hell out of me, I come from the days of old when film was used (I'm 34 not old ok!) and I consider most of my shots being constrained by 24 or 36 exposures so haveing an SD card that will shoot over two thousand images (depending on ISO etc) is great and I have never filled one, I have an old CF card that is a mighty 2GB strong, yes I intend to upgrade soon but at the moment it's what I have so it lives in what I consider the second slot as my 16GB SD card in in the first - all the wrong way around I know but does it really matter? well I shoot a lot of Motorsport, video, live music and well you get the idea and I've not had an issue.....ever.

The main gripe I have though is that if I want to take out my primary card mid shoot and look at some of the images on the PC then the camera automatically switches to the second card as primary despite it being 'off' and not on again until both cards are back in it's slots - why? I can't see an option to switch this off and to be honest it's bloody annoying.

I've had a couple of times now when I'm just test shooting and taken a card out only to find my workflow has switched to the second card, I can see why this would be great when a card fails on a shoot (never happened to me) but not when the camera is off, you then have to do the card dance and do the process in reverse to get the cards read/write in the original order you wanted.

I'd like Canon to make a custom function available where I can open the quick menu and swap the card order over, does this exist? I'm only half way through the phone-book sized manual that came with the camera so forgive my ignorance if I've just not got to that page yet.

In fact I'm going to have a look now............

Oh for fu.................... the 5DmK3 does indeed have this as a quick menu function, I am an idiot, I'm going to post this anyway as it has helped me figure out what I needed to do and shows that next time before I write a long and dull post perhaps I should look at the issue first?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment