Sunday 21 July 2013

Video Time - Canon eos 550d, 5dmk3 and the Zoom H1


As the new website is being put together by my buddy Mike and I'm starting to experiment with the video side of DSLR's I thought I'd write about it and eventually post some test videos and links to the work on my website proper.

I have quickly realised that the onboard sound on the 5dmk3 the 550d and well pretty much any camera is dire, so after a bit of research I settled on the inexpensive yet highly praised Zoom H1 version 2, I have to say that is a great and intuitive little device that has great sound out of the box, combined with its ability to take an external mic and headphone monitor - I got it from amazon for £70.

The H1 takes micro SD cards and as most of you already know a decent Micro SD card on amazon comes to about £7.99 for a 16gb Samsung class 6, as far I can tell there is no real point going for the same high end cards you would use in your camera for video or stills as an audio recorder puts very little stress onto the media - recording at the highest possible WAV format on the 16gb card gives me 7.5 Hrs recording time which is fantastic.

The lavalier mic I'm using (actually I bought 2) is the Ultradisk 4033 model and they come with two spare wind covers for around £8 each and when combined with the H1 make an impressive and compact sound recording option for film makers on the move and on a budget.

Right now onto the cameras I am using a Canon 5dmk3 with the 24-105 L as the main camera with sound recording set to off, with a 32gb Sandisk class 10  extreme SD card, again I've noticed no speed issues between the SD & CF cards that some have reported on the forums and this is when shooting either Formula 1 photos or shooting 1080p HD footage.

My second camera is the Canon 550d with the nifty 50mm 1.8 lens,  the latest version of magic lantern is installed to yet another 32gb Sandisk SD card. On top of the cameras hotshot is an inexpensive ebay metal adapter that came in at £2.99 and it allows me to mount the H1 using its tripod thread.

A short (or in my case coiled) cable takes the sound from the H1's output jack into the 550d and I am able to turn all gain via magic lantern off and use the H1's preamp to boost the signal, I also like the way that I am effectively duplicating my audio file if for whatever reason either device corrupts the audio (so far no such issues) but depending on the importance of the film you are making its nice to have the peace of mind of a belt and braces approach.

Now at this point the 550d is a great little run & gun device in its own right but when you plug in one of the 4033 Ultradisk lavalier mics it becomes a formidable interview audio and video capture device.

It's worth noting that the cable on the 4033 lav is around a metre long, which is ideal for plugging into the H1 and sticking it in your pocket if your recording video blogs or review videos for YouTube etc.

I use an inexpensive extension cable again from Amazon that extends the lav cable by an extra 3.5m, this allows you to place the lav on the subject and monitor the levels on the H1 while you shoot.

Apart from the obvious tripods and a reflector to throw a bit of extra light onto your subject during the interview then that's about it for my setup. I do have a Fuji X100 that I can use as a third camera that shoots nice 720p footage but the vast majority of the stuff I have shot so far is on the DSLR's shooting at 1080p at 25fps - mostly at 100iso with a shutter speed of 50.

I also carry an ND filter kit with me to allow me to shoot with a smaller aperture.

I'll link up some Vimeo footage as soon as its ready and a link to my new website when that's done.

I'm writing this on the yet untested by me blogger app on the iPad so apologies if the formatting is wonky.

No comments:

Post a Comment